Digital Marketing in today’s online world means marketing is light years away from the where we were just a few years ago. More than half of all web traffic comes from mobile or tablet – Stat Counter (2016) In October 2016, global internet usage finally became mobile, with mobile/tablet eclipsing desktop 51.3% to 48.7%.
Google has described the Zero Moment of Truth
The zero moment of truth (ZMOT) is the point in the buying cycle when the potential customer researches a product or service, this can often happen without the seller even knowing they exist. Potential customers researching a product or service online prior to purchase has become the norm as the internet and in particular mobile access has grown. As far back as 2011, on average consumers used 10.4 sources of information before making a purchase decision, compared to half as many sources in 2010 (ZMOT, 2011).
What does this mean in practice?
The main focus on ZMOT has been on B2C companies, B2B suppliers need to catch up fast. Here is an example of a potential customer moving through ZMOT during a typical B2B buying cycle:
- Sarah, a marketing director reads an article about a new technique for using CRM to target customers in a more effective way. This acts as a stimulus for her to want to learn more.
- Sarah carries out some research, the zero moment of truth, where she looks at product reviews and buyers guides to find the right CRM system for her business’s needs.
- Sarah now watches a webinar which explains the technique and why she needs a more sophisticated CRM package.
- Sarah now receives a number of scheduled automated emails with more evidence of the suitability of the alternative CRM package. She also receives several scheduled calls from the supplier’s telesales agent providing supporting evidence and answering questions.
- The supplier’s telesales agent agrees a visit from the suppliers Technical Sales Person, who now visits Sarah and her board as hot sales prospects.
- Now comes the first moment of truth, where Sarah and the board decide to purchase a new CRM system.
- The last stage is the second moment of truth, which is the after sales experience that Sarah and her company have after buying the product.
- This whole sales journey is measured by sophisticated analytical measurement to check the effectiveness of the sales marketing process.
How Modus Consulting helps you leverage the ZMOT
Here’s how we make certain that your B2B product or service passes the ZMOT test:
- We make sure the sales journey for prospective customers targets the right companies and organisations
- YouTube is the second most popular search bar on the internet (ZMOT, 2011). Consumers are looking for easily understood information early in the sales cycle to help them make decisions. So we will often incorporate webinars and product demonstrations into our client’s marketing strategy. They want reviews that are coming from your customers and clients, not directly from you.
- We work with you to create information about your product or service that is suitable and understandable, also by building an effective website. Prospects will be looking for the following types of content to help them make a decision: videos/webinars customer testimonials, buyer’s guides, and case studies for use in offline marketing.
But rest assured all of this should drastically change your current marketing strategy it will enhance and support it. This news that prospects research before purchase should not be shocking to you. But it is vital in today’s marketplace to leverage the ZMOT process, and we will make that easy for you.
Digital Marketing Services
- Digital audits and strategy
- SEM Search Engine Marketing
- Social media marketing
- Social Media analytics reports
- Social acquisition
- Pay Per Click (PPC)
- Content strategy
- Content creation
- Webinar development, production and promotion
- Blogger outreach
- Email marketing
- A/B Testing (constantly improving digital asset performance).
- Online Reputation management
- Digital PR